- Hero is standing in Opp Open Guard
- Hero R Hand -> Opp R Gi Ankle
- Hero does a little shuffle step with R + L Legs -> L (AST) Hero slides R knee to the inside of Hero R Arm (Keenan below in the video explains this is as the outside of the R Arm but for me it is easier to remember this as inside Hero R Arm)
- Hero applies pressure with R Arm and R Leg -> Opp R Thigh; Hero R Hand is maintaining the Gi Grip at the Opp R Ankle
- Hero is bending legs and posting L Leg to L
- Opp will normally defend this with L Knee Shield
- Hero L Hand -> Opp R Collar Gi
- Hero applies pressure to Opp L Knee/leg and torso by lifting hips into the air with Hero L Leg
- This is a key point because if done correctly it will kill the Opp L Knee because Hero Torso will come over top of the knee and will driving it down to the ground effectively neutralizing it.
- Hero walks around to North South while maintaining grips effectively passing the guard.
One of my instructors recently introduced me to this concept. I am sure it is not the first time that I have been shown this but it finally started to click and sink in as a viable option. It has proven to be very effective
Below Keenan Cornelius breaks down this guard pass incredibly well. Keenan’s videos are excellent and I hope to attend a seminar of his and train with him some day. He starts by explaining the ideas of basic guard passing (breaking grips etc..). At approximately 4:45 he starts breaking down this Pass.